Crime scene showing, anyone? Despite any caution tape in her way, Shakeima Chatman knows how to hustle. At the lowest point of the recession, she decided to leave her stable corporate job and take the leap into real estate. She said it best: “It hasn’t always been easy, but it’s always been worth it.” Today, Shakeima has her own team, The Chatman Group, is brokered with Carolina Elite Real Estate, and has authored the book, “Possess the Land: The Believer’s Guide to Home Buying.” Tune in to hear how Shakeima sees home ownership as a legacy, educates her clients beyond just the buy and sell, and empowers single home buyers to shift their mindset about ownership.
Please subscribe to this podcast in iTunes or in the Podcasts App on your phone. Never miss a beat from Leigh by visiting The Leigh Brown Experience.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:13 – Shakeima’s background
- 01:15 – She’s from Charleston, SC; her father was in the Navy so she grew up part-time in Virginia Beach, VA
- 01:26 – She’s been in real estate for 7 years; she quit a corporate management job for a commission-only lifestyle: “It hasn’t always been easy, but it’s always been worth it”
- 02:08 – She’s only known hustle because she got in the game during the recession; it shaped her strategy, discipline and fate
- 03:45 – Her CSIRE story
- 03:55 – She was going to show a property to a single mom and safety was a primary concern; they pulled up and it was a crime scene, the seller was trying to convince them
- 04:37 – The police officer in her car was telling them “Run! You don’t want to live here!” so Shakeima didn’t have to
- 05:25 – They had had a break-in; they were remodeling a house in a neighborhood that was in the process of being revitalized, and it was attractive to burglars
- 06:20 – She ended up buying in a different neighborhood; most of Shakeima’s clients are single women who are doing it on their own
- 06:47 – The biggest challenge that single buyers face when entering the marketplace
- 07:05 – Fear and overcoming the beliefs/myths they hear from others; understanding that they don’t have to have the traditional family to have the house
- 07:35 – She teaches the investment-opportunity aspect of real estate; she helped a woman sell her townhouse and buy a house and she walked away with $10,000
- 08:38 – Clients are part of the home ownership message; she encourages those conversations on social media
- 08:45 – Shakeima’s book and its premise
- 08:50 – Book: “Possess the Land: The Believer’s Guide to Home Buying”
- 08:57 – Tells stories of home ownership; her grandmother rented a home for over 30 years and lost the home and legacy when it switched owners
- 10:00 – One of her Facebook friends now owns that house
- 10:30 – How to contact Shakeima: The Chatman Group SC on Social Media
- 11:20 – Possess the Land: The Believer’s Guide to Home Buying” takes you through the journey of homeownership compared to the journey that the children of Israel took to the promised land
3 Key Points
- Hustle your way to success and don’t lose what you’ve learned in tough times.
- Educate your clients on the deeper reasons behind ownership like legacy and investment.
- Your clients may be fearful or doubtful – be the support they need to make the best decision.